Monday, November 29, 2010

THE AMERICAN RED CROSS RESPONDS TO THREE FIRES OVER THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND

I was in my hometown of El Paso over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was about to sit down to dinner when I received an email on my phone that notified me of a house fire here in central Texas. It was to be the first of three fires that took place over the long weekend that left eight people without a home including five children.

As I was thinking about what the staff and volunteers do here at the Red Cross I realized how thankful I am for the work that they all do. Volunteers showed up to every fire and made sure that those affected had a place to stay for the night and food to eat. Although we could not bring their homes back, we could at least provide a little bit of comfort and warmth in the form of blankets and a listening ear.

The American Red Cross is urging everyone to take the necessary precautions to have a safe and happy holiday season. For more information please visit our website www.redcross.org or call us at (512-928-4271).

No comments:

Post a Comment