Friday, October 14, 2011

Fire Extinguishers and Smoke Alarms


Ok, so perhaps this post I mostly did for my benefit, but maybe a lot of you are in the same boat as me and this will be beneficial to you as well. Of course, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are vital when it comes to home fires, but they are not things that we think about on a daily basis, at least for me.

It's not until I started interning with the American Red Cross and the recent wildfires in Central Texas, that I realized how prevalent house fires are and how much of a disaster they can cause. Being Fire Prevention Week, I thought it would be a good idea to learn more about the proper care of smoke alarms and use of fire extinguishers and share this information on here.

Fire Extinguishers
  • Make sure you are trained by your local fire department before using a fire extinguisher.
  • Only use a fire extinguisher if it is a small fire that has been contained and fire department has been called.
  • Make sure everyone in the home has evacuated before using.
  • Remember the word PASS:
    • Pull the pin and hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and others.
    • Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
    • Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
    • Sweep the nozzle from side to side.

No comments:

Post a Comment